Monday 19 February 2018

Radar Scope - Part 1

The computer lab concept is only a part of the diorama project I'w working on - as well the computers there will also be monitoring and tracking equipment for things that fall from space and land on remote Scottish islands where only a few people can thwart their menace...

Anyway to keep track of these falling objects the personnel need a radar and so I came up with a fairly generic design rather than be restricted to a specific model... this gives me a fair bit of freedom to create something visually interesting and at least plausible.

I made the basic shell of the radar unit from plasticard and dressed it with tiny screws and bits n bobs... it also gave me an excuse to use my circle cutter - which was nice.  So I cut an opening on the face of the unit and then cut a circular frame.



There will also be lighting - a flashing yellow and steady orange light on top and a steady green LED inside to provide back-lighting for the CRT radar screen.


The screen itself is a cheap reading magnifier from China made from rigid PVC.  I cut the handle off and printed off an image from the internet.  This image will be glued around the edge to the reverse of the screen, which, as well as magnifying has a ribbed texture to give a slight 3D effect when viewed first hand.


The magnifier has a slight convex shape which helps with the illusion.
The screen has already been fitted into the unit but I don't have photos as of this post.

There will be a desk and sundry equipment to accompany the radar unit but this is still very much a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment