Monday 19 February 2018

Retro Computers - Part 2

Once the cabinets had been built I needed to add the tape reels so typical of retro computers in films and on TV.  For the actual spools I found a couple of (expensive and quite hard to find) reel-to-reel type tape cassettes...


Which I then gutted...


I then built the gubbins (mechanism) which would look visually interesting behind the clear plastic that I would be adding once all was painted.


The Lego wheel here has been replaced by another cassette reel as this just looked silly.  I also installed a couple of LEDs into the workings to distract from the fact that these reels will not be spinning.

This is the general layout of the cabinet... there are two identical cabibnets so I'm building these in tandem to ensure they are exactly the same... even then there are a tiny differences that are obvious to me but won't be too glaring once they are painted up and finished.


I painted the backing to the reels, installed the lighting and fixed them into the cabinets.






I fitted AA battery holders into the cabinets to allow them to run quite happily.  Finally I added tops to the cabinets, filled the gaps and sanded smooth.


With them ready for painting I set the cabinets aside and started on the mainframe unit.


No comments:

Post a Comment