Thursday 24 May 2018

Caverns and Tunnels

My aim is to try and recreate in miniature what I saw on TV and in films when I was a lad: budgets were low and imagination was paramount.  Up to now it's mostly been about building retro technology and a multi-use corridor section... however sometimes you come across something that just shouts YES!! at you.
Such was the case when I came across something by accident - fish tank environment backgrounds... these are Chinese made moulded polystyrene sheets with rock texture and basic weathering with a dry brush.  I took a punt and ordered a couple of dark rock walls.

The sheets arrived from a UK seller within a week and I was bowled over by the size - they're roughly A2 size (about the size of a flip-chart sheet)... but as light as a feather.

The surface texture is nice and deep, but there are annoying ejector pin marks all over the place - these can be removed in Photoshop or GIMP (I bought these for photos rather than permanent display).


These two photos show the texture and ejector pin marks...



When used for photography they can produce spectacular results...





I'm happy that my habit of thinking outside the box paid off as I don't think I could have taken photos like these with a home made section of cavern or tunnel wall.
I shall be checking out more fish tank/aquarium stuff in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment