Thursday 10 May 2018

Fun with leather

I recently had the Redman Toys "Good Cowboy" (The Man With No Name) delivered and while this is an excellent figure the pleather saddlebags and pseudo suede gunbelt and holster.
The gunbelt could be improved but I will have a go at weathering it first, but the saddlebags are terrible. 
They are a thin fabric material covered with an even thinner skin of PVC 'leather'... which flakes off as soon as you look at it too hard.  I decided to have a go at making a replacement.

I ordered some thin dark leather from the internet and once it arrived I traced the original on the reverse twice to have a front and back to the saddlebags.  I used fabric contact glue to fix these parts together.  I need to stitch the edges for a more professional look but they are okay at the moment.

For the bags I just traced around the new leather piece and then glued these to both ends.  These will also need to have stitches around the edge.
The flaps were made in the same way with fastening straps cut from thin strips of the leather.  I used the buckles from the original bags.

To make the thing look worn and used I scuffed it up with my sanding block.  Once the stitches are in I will weather it with powders and filters for that dusty look.

This is the part as it stands at the moment...
Technically it should be in two halves joined in the middle, but I'm happy with the way it looks.



I filled the bags with car tyre balancing weights... it needs to hang properly and it can only do that with some weight to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment