Monday 20 August 2018

Thunderbirds props -part 1

When Big Chief Studions announced they were going to be producing action figures based on Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet I was a bit dubious.  The photos looked amazing but I'd been caught out by prototype photos before.  Then I ordered them...

These figures are half puppet size, so while they appear nominally 1/6 scale their proportions are those of mid 1960s Supermarionation puppets, so best to think in terms of them being 1/2 scale.

Captain Scarlet is still on pre-order and probably won't be out until before Christmas 2018, but Scott and Virgil from Thunderbirds are out now... and they are exactly like their prototype photos.  With them in hand I knew I needed to build some props for them to be photographed in some sort of context with their surroundings.

So I sat down and worked out a design for a basic Gerry Anderson style chair and instrument console... the setting could be anywhere, but I needed some sort of objects for the figures to interact with.
The console still needs work, but the chair was designed to look like this...


Simple but looks the part.

I built the two main parts from 3mm Foamex PVC board and added ribbed plasticard to the edges and back.  The support was made from a cut-down fizzy tablet tube.  As yet I have not added the disc shaped lower 'foot' for the chair or the upholstery.  The latter will me made from a red PVC material, for that nice authentic 60s look.

Here is where I am at the moment...







 Here you can see the ribbed surface... this will add some visual interest to what could have been a very boring surface. 


Once the circular base has been added I will spray this silver and add chrome to the edges for a really nice effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment